Thursday, June 13, 2013

This blog is morphing or "Hilary vs. the SAHM idea"

I started this blog with the intention of getting information about the Marine Corp to the newly inducted members of this lifestyle. I had intentions of explaining the ins and outs of this life, since no one really knows what it is like until they are doing it.

What I failed to realize, is that the time between having kids (dealing with Tricare) and PCSing (dealing with the Marines) is actually pretty boring.

The only difference between our life and a civilians life, on average, is that he comes home and complains and PTing in the morning and what stupid crap they talking about at the shop.

That isn't to say that our lives aren't difficult and have a unique set of stresses that a civilian cant understand. My sister, for example, will never know what it is like to have to explain to her son why daddy isn't coming home for a few months. My son is only a year old, but he already knows when dad isn't here. He sits by the door and softly says "da-da-da-da". Don't call me over dramatic, because I know he doesn't grasp the situation, but I am 100% sure that he knows dad isn't here. I know a time is coming when our son asks me why his dad Inst at his birthday party or why dad wont hold him(he is in uniform, of course).

So I guess what I am trying to say is that, yes this life is hard, but it goes on. In a moment of clarity, I realized that after the initial enlistment, life begins to even out (until a deployment). Wake up, feed the son, feed the dog, watch Smallville, watch Dora, eat, nap, etc.

I feel like the only direction that this blog can take is to talk about how the Marines affect my marriage and son.

So on that note, today I am pissed because I asked my husband to help me pick up around the house. And he gave me a look. In his face I read "I work all day long and all you do is take care of the baby."

It isn't the first time we have had this unspoken conversation. Usually, I just say whatever and do it myself while he plays a video game. Because the hours from 5-10 pm are the only time he gets to relax. But what he doesn't understand is that, while I a may not have a job, I work every freaking hour of the day and night. He comes home and relaxes for a couple of hours, but I am always on baby/house duty. Diapers, feedings, dinner, laundry, cleaning, cleaning the exact same thing again, dog, bills! The list goes on.

To be fair, he does occasionally help me, but only if I ask first. I cant think of a single instance where he decided to come help me, independently.

Here goes a conversation;

"Honey, can you unload the dishwasher?"
He gets up from the couch, his face looking like I just asked him to build the ark.
"Yeah, I guess" he sullenly replies, as he pauses his game.
10 minutes later...He only unloaded the dishwasher, when there is a huge pile of dishes in the sink from dinner. Yes, I only said to 'unload' but it is my opinion that loading it again is a logical decision after unloading it.

I have had that conversation a dozen times in the last couple of months.

Yes, he works. Yes, he is tired. We both are. That doesn't make it okay.

New policy, if he wants dinner or to have his charlies ironed, he better make it worth my time. I have enough to do with his son (okay, OUR son). I wasn't the only one who made that kid. If my day doesn't end at 5 o'clock, neither does him.

In other news, I made a fuss with the units FRO about one of her volunteers(called 'snotty sergeants wife') who was hostile and elitist in one of our interactions. So I talked the the family readiness officer and she says she will talk to SSW about her attitude and professionalism. Yeah right, like talking to a *itchy girl about her attitude every made a difference. I just hope to God that the FRO doesn't mention my name. That's all we need; to have a pissed wife talking crap about my husband and I to her NCO hubby. Awesome...

No comments:

Post a Comment