Friday, April 12, 2013

Southern (dis)Comfort

When I pictured living in the south, I imagined genteel ladies drinking ice tea on a white porch in beautiful summer dresses while the kids tried to catch fireflies in the yard. The sort of stereotypes you accept watching movies.

What I didn't expect was humidty so unbearable that I felt like I was melting. The last four days here at Camp Lejeune have been some of the hottest and stickiest of my entire life. The temperature has been in the upper 70's, but its the humidity that makes it feel like its in the 90's. I went into my backyard yesterday, to do some weeding. After 5 minutes, I had huge drops of sweat running down my face and blurring my vision. Even the dog was just laying, panting.

I was not prepared for this, at all.

Being from a place where it snows seven months out of the year, I am not adjusting very well. My hair feels like a greasy mess, my skin in oily, and I am out of deoderant.

I cant wait until my husband gets home so that we can go to the beach! Maybe it will be cooler there.

No comments:

Post a Comment