Friday, May 11, 2012

A Poem Written to a Marine Wife

Marine Wife

© Danny Blackburn
When we married who would have thought of the changes in our lives
We were married one year, one month to the day when I made you a Marine Wife

Things were tough, we had only been married a year
I remember we talked of our future, our love and never fear

I remember leaving you on that hot summer day
I remember thinking this was what’s best as I went away

I was not fearful as I left your mom’s drive
I was not fearful on that my first plane ride

I was not fearful of the DI’s at all
They pushed and shoved us and made us stand tall

The DI’s told the married Marines of Jody at home with our wives
What they were teaching us was to control our tempers, one day it may save our lives

What they did to us, it surely did changed your life
13 weeks away from you my beautiful wife

I will tell the truth and will not cover with a lie
There was nights thinking of you where all I did was cry

Then that day came, we were given the title of a United States Marine
I was on the bus, on the plane home to you which seemed like a dream

I stepped off the plane looking for you I did not have to do
I seen a beautiful smile and glow, I seen nothing else but you

Into your arms I ran, we kissed like never before
I could not let you go again, I could not take any more

We had a saying in the Corps that is a fact of life
“The Toughest Job in the Corps, is that of a Marine wife”


Source: Marine Wife, Wife Poem http://www.familyfriendpoems.com/poem/marine-wife#ixzz1ubskPreB
**NOTE**

"Jody" is an old reference. It was a males name back in the day, so for it to make sense, replace JOdy with Johnny.

No comments:

Post a Comment